Makes 24 brownies
This is a featured recipe taken from The Biggest Loser Dessert Cookbook by Chef Devin Alexander.
These brownies freeze well and are great for bake sales and many other occasions. The recipe can easily be doubled.
If your fruit spread seems at all watery, be sure to drain off any excess liquid before using it in this recipe; otherwise, the mini-bites might overflow.
- Butter-flavored cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons whole grain oat flour
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup 100% fruit strawberry spread
- 1 Preheat the oven to 350°F. Thoroughly mist two 12-cup nonstick mini-muffin tins with cooking spray.
- 2 Add the flours to the bowl of a mini-food processor fitted with a chopping blade and process for 2 minutes. Add the flours, cocoa powder, espresso powder, baking powder, and salt to a sifter and sift them into a small mixing bowl.
- 3 In a large mixing bowl, using a sturdy whisk or spatula, mix the egg whites, sugar, applesauce, canola oil, and vanilla until well combined. Add the flour mixture and stir until just combined and no lumps remain (be careful not to overmix). Divide the batter among the 24 muffin cups, filling each about two-thirds full (about 1 tablespoon per cup--do not overfill them or the brownies will spill out of the pan). Carefully drop 1 teaspoon of fruit spread directly in the center of each brownie (do not push the fruit spread down into the brownies).
- 4Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted as close to the center as possible, without touching the fruit spread, comes out dry. Transfer the pan to a cooling rack and allow them to cool for 5 minutes. Using a butter knife, gently lift the brownies from the muffin tins (if they stick, gently run the knife around the edge of each cup). Allow them to cool for another 10 minutes.
Per brownie: 68 calories, 1 g protein, 13 g carbohydrates (9 g sugar), 1 g fat, trace saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, trace fiber, 84 mg sodium