Makes 8 servings
This is a featured recipe taken from The Biggest Loser Simple Swaps By Cheryl Forberg, RD and the Biggest Loser Experts and cast with Melissa Roberson
You’ll never miss the pasta in this scrumptious, cheesy Italian favorite. Wrap and freeze any extra servings individually to thaw and warm for lunch in a hurry.
- 2 large zucchini (about 1 pound), ends trimmed, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 3 links (about 4 ounces each) lean turkey Italian sausage
- 1 red bell pepper or roasted red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup low-fat marinara sauce
- 2 egg whites
- 1 (15-ounce) container fat-free ricotta cheese
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 Preheat the oven to 325°F. Lightly coat an 8" x 8" baking pan with olive oil cooking spray. Set aside.
- 2Lightly spray a baking sheet with olive oil cooking spray. Arrange the zucchini slices in a single layer on the baking sheet. Spray them lightly with cooking spray. Broil (or grill) the zucchini for about 8 minutes, or until tender and very lightly browned. Set aside to cool.
- 3To prepare the meat sauce, cook the sausage in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon to break up any clumps. Add the bell pepper, onion and garlic, and cook for about 4 minutes longer, until the meat is no longer pink. The juices should be cooked dry. Stir in the marinara sauce and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. The sauce will be very thick.
- 4Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, combine the egg whites, ricotta, Italian seasoning and black pepper until well combined.
- 5To assemble the lasagna, spread half of the meat sauce in the bottom of the prepared baking pan. Layer on half of the zucchini slices, followed by half of the ricotta mixture and half of the mozzarella cheese. Repeat with the remaining meat sauce, zucchini slices, ricotta mixture and mozzarella. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake for about 40 minutes, or until bubbly and lightly browned. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Per Serving: 210 calories, 18 g protein, 17 g carbohydrates, 7 g fat, 2 g saturated, 45 mg cholesterol, 3 g fiber, 340 mg sodium