Makes 3 Servings; Serving = 2 and 2/3 ounces of chicken
This is a featured recipe taken from The Biggest Loser Cookbook by Chef Devin Alexander.
We love this “fried” chicken because it’s incredibly versatile. It’s not only great as is, it’s an awesome base for chicken parmesan if you simply add a bit of marinara sauce and some low-fat mozzarella cheese. We also love chopping it up on salads drizzled with a bit of wing sauce (just be careful of the sodium on that one). Oh, and in case you are wondering, panko is a Japanese breadcrumb that is super crispy. It’s ideal for "fried" chicken or other faux fried foods because you don’t need to add oil to achieve perfectly crisp breading. If you can’t find panko, a second choice is crushed up Light Rye Wasa Crispbread®, though we definitely prefer the panko.
- Olive oil spray
- 3 tablespoons fat-free plain yogurt
- 4 large fresh basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- 2 small (4 ounces each) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed of visible fat
- 4 tablespoons Ian’s Whole Wheat Panko Breadcrumbs®, divided
- Mustard or low-fat, low-sodium marinara sauce to taste (optional)
- 1 Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly mist a small nonstick baking sheet with oil spray. In a medium shallow bowl, combine the yogurt, basil, oregano, thyme, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Stir to mix well.
- 2 Place 2 tablespoons of the breadcrumbs in another medium shallow bowl. Set next to the yogurt mixture. Dip 1 breast into the yogurt mixture to coat. Transfer to the breadcrumbs to coat evenly. Place it on the prepared baking sheet. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs to the breadcrumb bowl. Repeat the procedure with the second breast. Place, not touching the other breast, on the baking sheet.
- 3 Bake for 10 minutes. Flip the chicken and bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until no longer pink. Serve immediately with mustard or marinara sauce to taste on the side, if desired.
Per Serving: 173 Calories, 29 g Protein, 9 g Carbohydrates, 2 g Total Fat, <1 g Saturated Fat, 1 g Fiber, 171 mg Sodium,